It is a spice which is obtained from the Myristica fragrans tree whose seed is the nutmeg. Mace is the net-like extra seed covering that covers the nutmeg’s seed coat. Mace is made from the lacy, red outer coating that covers the shell around the nutmeg kernel. Once this coating is removed, it’s dried, and can be found and purchased as whole, golden-orange “blades”, though it’s most commonly sold ground. In flavor, mace is very similar to nutmeg, though more subtle and delicate. If you find nutmeg too potent or astringent, try using mace instead for a gentler flavor.
Health Benefits of Mace:
- Digestive Health – Mace has always been utilized to deal with digestive problems like nausea, diarrhea, stomach spasms and gas.
- Encourages Appetite – Mace spice can help you eat well, therefore keeping you healthy and powerful.
- Toothache Relief – Mace has something called eugenol in it. Eugenol can be used in dental practices for the pain relief of minor tooth conditions.
- Massage And Joint Relief – Mace as oil is sometimes used as a massage oil. It is believed to relieve some pains in muscles and perhaps even rheumatic discomfort in joints. At the very least, its aromatic properties will give your next back rub an interesting twist.
- Boosts Blood Circulation – Another health benefit of mace spice is its ability to boost blood circulation. This will keep your skin and hair healthy, and also protect you from dangerous diseases and infections. Increased blood circulation also prevents diabetes and other life-threatening conditions.
- Stress Buster – This could be surprising to most of you, but mace spice also acts as a stress buster! It effectively eliminates tension and anxiety, and helps you feel calm and peaceful. Mace spice relieves mental exhaustion as well. Not just that, this spice can help you pay more attention to work and also increases your memory.
- Protects Kidneys – Another health benefit of mace spice is its ability to protect your kidneys. It stops kidney stones from developing in your body. And if you have kidney stones, it dissolves them effectively. It is an excellent natural remedy for treating kidney infections and other conditions associated with kidneys.
- Cold And Cough – Mace spice can also treat cold and cough! It protects you from flu and viral diseases and keeps your body safe and protected from diseases. It is also used to prepare cough syrups and cold rubs. Mace Spice is also a good remedy for asthma patients.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties – Mace spice is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It treats joint pains and other inflammatory conditions. Not only that, it is considered effective for treating diseases such as arthritis and lumbago as well.